Facebook recently changed its Fan Page structure to the timeline layout, which pretty much scuppered most peoples attempts at forced opt in’s on their pages. The new layout along with Facebook’s new guidelines (read RULES) pretty much stops you from tricking people to ‘like’ your page.
The rules also state your timeline ‘cover image’ cannot contain the following:
- Price or purchase information, such as “40% off” or “Download it at our website”
- Contact information, such as web address, email, mailing address or other information intended for your Page’s About section
- References to user interface elements, such as Like or Share, or any other Facebook site features
- Calls to action, such as “Get it now” or “Tell your friends”
Whilst some people are complaining bitterly about the changes, you can kinda see Facebooks point of view that they don’t want FB to become some great big billboard for everyone and their dog’s business.
As a Facebook ‘user’ (from a social media perspective), the last thing I want is yet another place to be bombarded with advertising and interruption style marketing… That’s why I turn the volume down on my TV during the adverts!
What does this mean for your business Facebook Fan Page?
OK, this may not seem like the popular opinion… but have a Fan Page to have real social engagement with people who want to engage with you and you business and product.
I want to show you an example of a small business that I have close ties with here in Portugal that “gets it right” with Facebook Fan Pages and has NOT had to do many changes to conform with the new layout and rules.
The company is a Mountain Biking guide. Go check out http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mountain-Bike-Adventure/8562843001
- You’ll see that they have close to 1300 “fans” grown organically, not force fed or tricked in to being a fan
- Read many of the status updates, they are about clients that have enjoyed their experience, new trails that have been built, plans for the future and chat about what routes are being ridden that week.
- You’ll see the timeline is plastered with photos! Lots of photos of clients (recognition), the scenery and the weather!
- There are plenty of videos on the timeline too! Mostly showing what the experience will be like if you come riding with them.
Now the thing to note with this fan page is that it is NOT done with marketing in mind! All the interaction is genuine social engagement, not forced or done with any specific agenda.
Here’s the point…
People want GENUINE social engagement, not a marketing message.
People like RECOGNITION that they are part of an experience and they can relive that experience through the videos and photos, not some slick marketing video or brochure.
People actually want to INTERACT with others that have enjoyed the experience and encourage other bikers to come and give it a try! Not done so as part of an affiliate or referral scheme.
This small company probably not only has more Fans than your page, but a hell of a lot more activity than your page, which is way more valuable.
You can learn a lot from a business that does social media right! And not because they have read a book or bought a course, or hired an “expert”, they are just…